Assistive Listening Devices
The National Theatre is equipped with FM frequency assistive listening devices. You may use your own headphones, or they will be provided for you. In addition, neck loops are available that are compatible with t-coil hearing aids. Assistive listening devices are available at Coat Check, and are offered free of charge, on a first-come first-served basis. A driver’s license or valid ID is required as security.
Audio Described Performances
Select performances are narrated by volunteers from The Metropolitan Washington Ear. Patrons can listen via lightweight earphone sets. You will hear detailed descriptions of sets, lighting, costumes, body language, and actions on stage. Devices are available at Coat Check, and are offered free of charge, on a first-come first-served basis. A driver’s license or valid ID is required as security.
The following dates are planned audio described performances for the 2019-20 season (subject to change):
- Mike Birbiglia’s The New One – Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 2pm
- Escape to Margaritaville – Sunday, October 13, 2019 at 2pm
- RENT – Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 2pm
- Fiddler on the Roof – Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 2pm
- Jersey Boys – Sunday, January 5, 2020 at 2pm
- The King’s Speech – Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 2pm
- Bandstand – Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 2pm
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Sunday, April 26, 2020 at 2pm
- Summer – Sunday, August 2, 2020 at 2pm
Open Captioned Performances
Open Captioning is a text display of the words and sounds heard during a production. Select performances offer Open Captioning and tickets are available by contacting the National Theatre offices at (202) 628-6161 or via email at email@example.com and require a minimum 3 week notice for the service to be confirmed.
The following dates are planned open captioned performances for the 2019-20 season (subject to change):
- Mike Birbiglia’s The New One – Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 2pm
- Escape to Margaritaville – Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 2pm
- RENT – Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 2pm
- Fiddler on the Roof – Saturday, December 14, 2019 at 2pm
- Jersey Boys – Saturday, January 4, 2020 at 2pm
- The King’s Speech – Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 2pm
- Bandstand – Saturday, March 7, 2020 at 2pm
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 2pm
- Summer – Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 2pm
Wheelchair and scooter users can be accommodated in all sections of the theatre. Patrons who cannot or choose not to transfer from their wheelchairs should request wheel-chair accessible locations when ordering tickets. For accessible seating, please call the National Theatre offices at (202) 628-6161 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wheelchair accessible restrooms are located on the third and fourth floors of the theater. An elevator is available off the main lobby.
The National Theatre has one public elevator, located to the right of the Main Entrance. This elevator provides access to all levels.
Trained service animals are permitted to assist guests inside the National Theatre. If special accommodations are required for your service animal, please notify us at the time of ticket purchase or by calling 202-628-6161 ext 243. Guests bringing in service animals may not take up additional seats unless a ticket has been purchased for the adjacent seat, but may request accessible seating. All other animals are prohibited.